Sunday, 16 December 2018

F1 Will Always Be Dangerous, Says Robert Kubica

A A A


Kubica: Motorsport Will Never Be Safe.

Ex-Formula One driver Robert Kubica does not believe motorsport will ever be truly safe following Jules Bianchi's Japanese Grand Prix crash.

The Frenchman was unable to keep his Marussia car under control in the wet conditions in Suzuka earlier this month and subsequently collided with a recovery vehicle attending to Adrian Sutil's spin at the same corner.

Bianchi suffered serious head injuries, leading to his father Philippe this week describing the situation as "desperate", with the 25-year-old yet to regain consciousness some 10 days after the accident.

M-Sport rally driver Kubica, who previously competed in F1 with BMW Sauber and Renault, was involved in a serious crash at the 2007 Canadian Grand Prix.

And, in the wake of Bianchi's troubles, he is adamant that the sport will never be completely safe.

He told BBC Sport: "When you see it, you ask how is this possible? But unfortunately, it can happen. There is always risk in motorsport."

"We can forget how motorsport can be dangerous. My case is not the same but I was quite unlucky and lucky - you can see it both ways. I wish Jules and his family all the best and I pray for him."

"I know him quite well, he's a really nice guy and his talent is high, but it doesn't matter how much talent he has or if he is a friend or not - the danger remains."

Article based on multiple sources: giganews.com, usenet.net, facebook, twitter, youtube, wikipedia.

Other news

Did you know...

Robert Józef Kubica (orn 7 December 1984 in Kraków, Poland) is a Polish racing driver. He became the first Polish driver to compete in Formula One.

Between 2006 and 2009 he drove for the BMW Sauber F1 team, promoted from test driver to race driver during 2006.

In June 2008, Kubica took his maiden F1 victory in the Canadian Grand Prix.

On 6 February 2011, Kubica was seriously injured in a crash at the Ronde di Andora rally, in which his right forearm was partially severed.

He was taking part in the rally for personal enjoyment.

Kubica told Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport in a bedside interview that he could feel the fingers in his right hand and was determined to make a swift return to Formula One in 2011.

Since his return to good health, however, he has stated that a return to Formula One would be "nearly impossible" because of his injury.

Kubica returned to racing in September 2012, winning a minor rally in Italy.

Kubica was named one of "The Men of the Year 2012" by Top Gear magazine for his return to auto racing.

In 2013, he drove for Citroën in the European and World Rally-2 Championships.

He went on to win the inaugural WRC-2 title, and moved to the WRC championship full-time in 2014, driving a Ford Fiesta RS WRC prepared by M-Sport.

Kubica's recovery was dealt another setback after he re-broke his right leg, when he reportedly slipped on ice near his home in Italy, on 11 January 2012.

He remained out of competitive racing for most of 2012, but returned to compete in the Ronde Gomitolo Di Lana in a WRC car on 9 September.

He won the rally, finishing one minute ahead of the second placed driver.

In 2013, Kubica continued his return, focusing on rallying.

He is driving for Citroen in the European and World Rally-2 Championships.

His first event was the Rally de Portugal, in which he was competitive, but crashes and issues with his car led to him finishing in 6th.

Then, at the Acropolis Rally, Kubica won, finishing nearly 90 seconds ahead of second placed Yuriy Protasov.

He repeated this success at the Rally d'Italia winning ahead of Abdulaziz Al-Kuwari by 4 minutes.

At the 2013 Rally Finland Kubica lost to Jari Ketomaa nearly 90 seconds.

The Rallye Deutschland was a big success.

Not only did the Pole win ahead of Elfyn Evans by 12.9 seconds, he became the leader of the World Rally-2 Championships.

He re-gained this position (Al-Kuwari became the leader in Australia) at the Rallye de France, again beating Evans, this time by 4 minutes.

He won again at the Rally RACC Catalunya, his fifth victory of the season.

With this result he was able to clinch the championship, as his nearest rival Al-Kuwari was too far behind to regain the first position in the championship.

Kubica conducted a number of simulator tests with the Mercedes Formula 1 team which showed promise, but limitations in the range of motion of his injured arm would prevent him from driving in twisty circuits like Monaco due to the tight confines of an F1 cockpit.

In 2014, Kubica began his WRC campaign by taking the lead of the Monte Carlo Rally through the first two stages, but later retired on the second day after crashing out on SS9.